Celebrating 40th Anniversary of its Icon Young Scientist Badge Programme with the launch of Three New Badges

Celebrating 40th Anniversary of its Icon Young Scientist Badge Programme with the launch of Three New Badges

by Science Centre Singapore -
Number of replies: 0

Science Centre Singapore’s longest-running initiative, the Young Scientist Badge (YSB) Programme, commemorates 40 years of igniting interest and passion in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM). Inaugurated in 1982 with just four badges, the programme has grown by leaps and bounds to touch over one million learners.

The Centre celebrated this milestone with a special YSB 40th anniversary event where Guest of Honour, Mr Chan Chun Sing, Minister for Education announced the launch of the two new multidisciplinary badges, “I am a Young Marie Curie” and “I am a Young Margaret Fountaine” badges, as well as the Young Digital Fabricator  badge, in partnership with Temasek Foundation, to be rolled out in 2023. The addition of the three new badges brings the YSB collection to 25 this year. 

Inspired by pioneers of science - Marie Curie and Margaret Fountaine, the young Marie Curie and Margaret Fountaine badges are curated to encourage a spirit of innovation and societal norms-defying resilience, as exhibited by the Nobel Prize winner for Physics and Chemistry and the prolific lepidopterist during their time.  

Young Marie Curie programme is curated to encourage a spirit of innovation and norms-defying resilience, as exhibited by the Marie Curie. She was the the first person and the only woman to win the Nobel Prize twice in two scientific fields. Learners enrolled into this programme, will be subscribed to I am a Young Chemist, I am a Young Physicist and I am a Sustainability Champion(Junior) programmes. Learners can earn the Young Marie Curie badge by completing pre-set activities that are chosen from multidisciplinary programmes. Upon completion of the course, learners will be entitled to earn the 4 badges namely: Young Marie Curie , Young Chemist, Young Physicist and Sustainability Champion. 

Young Margaret Fountaine programme is curated to encourage a spirit of societal norms-defying resilience, as exhibited by the prolific lepidopterist during her time. Learners enrolled into this programme, will be subscribed to I am a Young Entomologist , I am a Young Ecologist and I am a Food Scientist programmes. Learners can earn the Young Margaret Fountaine badge by completing pre-set activities that are chosen from multidisciplinary programmes. Upon completion of the course, learners will be entitled to earn the 4 badges namely: Young Margaret Fountaine, Young Entomologist, Young Ecologist and Young Food Scientist.