Featured project - Action for the Environment by Shivam Garg

Featured project - Action for the Environment by Shivam Garg

by Singapore Science Centre SSCG -
Number of replies: 0
Thanks Shivam for sharing your idea for the I am a Young Sustainability Champion (Senior) Programme

There is a lot I can do for the environment. From just ensuring that everyone around me throws their litter in the bin to avoiding products from companies that harm the environment, these are all some actions that I should take for the better of the environment. But out of them all, the action which I think will have the greatest contribution is the product I am working on. It is essentially a faucet extension that does a whole host of things and is extremely adaptable (I have just listed a few uses, but there are many more, as even with just a few sensors it can do a lot). It turns your ordinary tap smart through features such as automatic tap control and automatically switching off the tap when it detects overflowing vessel. So, the next time you are filling water bottles you do not have to worry about it overflowing. Apart from it, it allows you to measure accurate amounts of water, so if you need 100ml of water for that lentil you are cooking, it will provide that much accurately. If you ever go on a family trip and worry about your plants not being watered, our tap extension will do it by releasing a certain amount of water every day (or every hour based on what the user sets it), all you will have to do is just connect a pipe to the extension and all will be good. Furthermore, a water atomiser in it will help you further conserve water. Through its integration with an app it will also allow you to compete with your friends, relatives and set up challenges on who uses the least water and conserves the most (it measures how much you use and conserve). It gives you badges and incentivises the process much like how a smart watch incentivises working out and staying fit. On a long-term basis, I wish to launch a challenge, a corporate challenge (maybe even household challenge) in which MNC’s across the nation will participate in this competition and based on their consumption they will be awarded. Not only will this motivate them to get a good brand image but will also help us achieve our cause. Currently, I have a working prototype of the product and the app ready (after countless hours spent refining it), now I have to work on somehow getting it implemented, so that it can change the world for the better.